Sunday, March 11, 2007

I Was a Wolf, Now I'm a Turtle

There was a time in my life in which I was not a Turtle. Really I'm not all together a Turtle now, I just choose to conduct myself following the Philosophy of the Turtle. No, at one point I was a proud, courageous, ambitious and career minded individual with thoughts of glory and riches. Yes, at one time I was a Wolf.


As a Wolf I would seek out opportunities, because after all that is what a Wolf does. But I was not just any Wolf, I was the Alpha, the powerful, the dominate! I was the leader of the pack, ready and willing to impose my will, skill and ability to lead other Wolves. I was not a loner because Wolves, unlike Turtles, are not loners. Wolves desire the teamwork and comradery of the pack. I would take chances and people respected me for my ability to do so.


I can remember several points in my career in which my Wolf traits got me into trouble. I didn't care, I just chalked it up to effort and most of my bosses lacked a clue to really discipline me anyway. I lived by the "What the Fuck" theory given in the movie Risky Business.


Miles: Joel, you wanna know something? Every now and then say, "What the fuck." "What the fuck" gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.


Say "what the fuck."... If you can't say it, you can't do it.


Yes, that is what Alpha Wolves do, they say "What the Fuck" and storm in with their team, their pack and get the kill. They are tenacious and magnificent and everything a Wolf is, I was.


It almost makes me sad writing this post as I remember back to some of my Wolf days and realize how much fun and excitment being a Wolf is. I must catch myself though and realize there is "safety within the shell". Unfortunately, being a Wolf and certainly and Alpha Wolf is not ecouraged at my current company, nor my prior companies.

Please feel free to respond to any of my posts. Let loose with any of your Wolf, Turtle or Work Frustration comments or stories.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home